Secrets of a thrifty student

As one the UK's many students I've developed a plethora of knowledge on how to be thrifty and still spend on clothes and keep on trend. 
Usually you see the big high street chains and online retailers rubbing their hands with glee when our student loan drops and of course they would! As a general rule, students either blow their loan on a Topshop spree or a heavy night out. Then we have to live cheaply for the rest of the year. 

This is where we discover our saviour in charity or vintage shops. Where I live in my university town of Portsmouth, I encounter around 4 vintage shops and 2 charity shops on my walk home alone. 
Welcome to the period of your life where you'll be dipping in and out of these shops to gain a few pieces that are entirely worth your searching. 

1. Hand me downs are not a bad thing...
This was one of my mum's dresses from a beauty pageant in 1970's that my Nan made for her, and I think it's pretty fab. (Please excuse the mess - Oops)
And I love my mum's old Levis, although they are losing their legs this summer and becoming shorts.
My absolute favourite is my Great Aunt's Louis Vuitton from the 60's/70's over the shoulder bag.


2. Charity shops can be secret filled havens, if you find the right ones..


 

These pieces are from charity/vintage shops in Rye and Rochester, Kent, UK.

The best charity shops to go for are just outside of the student area, as this is where the real people will donate their clothes to. If you're really looking for labels at a bargain price there are many places in areas of Surrey like Effingham or in London.
I am aware that vintage and charity shops are not the same; but they are similar. One just houses clothing and items from a set decade and before and is slightly priceyer, with a higher potential for designer labels. Whereas the other is home to second hand clothes that are dying for a new home.

A Parisean magazine called "Do It In London" that I recently subscribed to highlighted the best vintage shop for designer buys. 

3. Sales/outlets are your queen.
These gems were £19 in the Nike outlet at Ashford.
My number 1 ski suit was £30 in a Jack Wills outlet (down from £250).

4. Shops like Primark, Asda and Matalan will surprise you..
This beaut blush coat was £7 in Asda!
This flora shift (perfect for my placement) was £12! 
I currently live in this coat as its thick enough for this weird weather and it was £7 in Primark.
These summer staple sandals were £15 in Matalan, this time last year.

I know a lot of people deem hand me downs and charity shops to not be great, I definately beg to differ. The majority of my favourites from my wardrobe our either bargain buys or recycled vintage items. 
Happy thrifting xo