Amsterdam

I know I said I had a lot of travels coming up this year with most of my traveling is in bulk throughout the summer.  However, I have just got back from my first world destination this year, the Netherlands. 

We started in Amsterdam for a few days in the most amazing apartment and then we drove up to Kampervenan and spent some time in Centre Parcs there. 

Amsterdam is such a gorgeous city with so much to do that I will definitely be going back, as 3 days wasn't enough time to explore the way I want to. I like to get lost in the back streets and stumble into shops that only the locals know of. 

Our apartment, Visseringstaete, was a dream with parking (for the car in a city where cars aren't really required or welcome) and was a 15 minute walk into the centre (when you get it right!).

Day 1:
We spent our first day in this beautiful but windswept city exploring it's side streets and canal paths.

As it was a family trip and dad had previously been to Amsterdam on a tour we visited the location he played at and his favourite accompanying Irish bar for brunch.
  

After a well needed refuel we headed across the river to the museum district and stumbled across the Moco museum. This museum was amazing and it was their opening day for a new Banksy and Andy Warhol, who has an unknown link and influence on Banksy's work. This exhibition although small is €10 entry but is definitely worth a visit!!
 

We then moved on to drinks and dinner at the Hard Rock with my friend that is living in Amsterdam at the moment. The cocktails in there were amazing, 6 cocktails and a full rack of ribs later we went out to check out the night life.


Day 2:
We spent the second day wandering around the canal lined streets, followed by a  canal cruise and a trip to The Body Worlds Museum: The Happiness Project. This was not for the faint of stomach as it was an exhibition which used real bodies of people who had donated their bodies for the project to highlight how everything works and what effect bad diets, alcohol and lack of exercise have on our bodies. It was an interactive exhibition and was really insightful with lots of mood boosting reminders, including mirrors telling you that "You look fine" (and it definitely put me off going to hard on the cocktails and vino when I am back at uni).